Monday, April 15, 2013

Cross Canada Hop: Home Decor

Welcome to another Cross Canada Blog Hop!  We're excited to show you some fun home decor this month.  If you arrived from Arlene's blog, you're on the right track.  Remember that this is a cyclical hop, so just keep hopping until you get back to where you started.  If you would like to literally "hop across Canada" you can click here to start at Michelle's blog.  She also has a complete list of hoppers in case you get lost along the way.

Using papercrafting as a way to add to your home's decor is super popular right now.  If you follow my blog, you've seen quite a few of these types of projects lately!  I just love it.  My love of paper, stamps and embellishments is creeping out of my scrapbooks and off my cards into my home and it makes me smile every time I look at them.

The project I chose to showcase today isn't a new one.  If you've been in my basement studio, you've probably seen it.  I created it about a year ago, but realized I never posted about it on my blog.  So, it seemed like the perfect choice for this hop.  Here it is:


I've made three of these topiaries now, all different styles.  You can see my first one here.  It takes a lot of time, but the finished project is well worth the effort.  The rolled flowers are all cut on the Cricut, with the Art Philosophy cartridge (Font function, shift, Tag5 key) at 4".  I used only Wonderland paper and Moonstruck cardstock (both retired).  Here's a close up:


I used Liquid Glass on the rolled flowers, but have since started using a hot glue gun.  It goes a lot quicker.  After they were dry I pinned them with regular pearl-topped pins right into a styrofoam ball.  The wooden dowel was stuck in after all the flowers were added. I didn't even add hot glue to keep it in place.  This way I can take this project to other places by just popping the top off!  The dowel is stuck into some green floral foam in the bucket, which I bought at Michaels.  I added some hot glue in the bucket before covering the whole thing with rocks from Dollarama.  To finish it off, I used some ribbon from the Blue Designer Ribbon collection (also retired) to tie a bow.

This now sits proudly on my shelf in my studio.  Want to make one of these, but don't have a Cricut?  The post with my first topiary includes instructions on cutting these flowers by hand.

Now it's time to hop on over to Sheri's blog and check out what she's created.  Happy Creating!




16 comments:

  1. I love this, the colors are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, I never even think of doing something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGOSH Krista this is just STUNNING!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so cool!...you know how great that would look in my house.hint hint..haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. So so pretty! You always do such a nice job with these. Thanks for the tips on making this too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it in blue! I made a similar project a few months ago and did use liquid glass at that time. When you use the hot glue gun do you have to wait to handle the flower for fear of burnt fingers or does it cool quickly enough to handle but slow enough for you to arrange the flower?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I let the flower unroll as far as I want it and try to arrange it before adding the hot glue. You do have about half a minute to get it where you want and you still have to hold it, although it's harder to manipulate once the glue is on there.

      Delete
  7. So intricate with all the flower details... looks great

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pretty Krista! I haven't tried making one of these yet, but I love how they look. Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it!! A lot of work went into that topiary!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely, I like the flowers and that they can be personalized to match the room's decor.
    Clare
    http://artsyclare.ctmh.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! They make my day.