Tuesday, August 31, 2010

September SOTM Blog Hop: It's a Thriller!

Here we are at the beginning of another month and a brand new Idea Book.  I'm sure you're going to see some amazing artwork on the blog hop this month, with lots of new product.  If this is your first stop, just keep clicking the links on each blog until you get back here. If you arrived here from Sylvia's blog, you're on the right track.  If you want or need to see the whole list, you can find it on Kathleen's blog.
Here is what September's SOTM looks like:


Thriller is perfect for all your Halloween projects and I figured lots of people would be using it for just that.  I'm not a huge fan of skulls and cross-bones or vampires and such, and I also figured some of you wouldn't be either.  Keeping that in mind, I challenged myself to use this set in a non-Halloween way.  I don't often "think outside the box" when I'm using stamp sets, so it was very good for me to do so this time.

Here are the cards I made.


This first card is a little one, 2 1/2 x 3.  I used the new purple ink, Gypsy, to stamp the skull image and the sentiment (from Say it in Style).  I brayered the top flower in that colour as well.  The stitches (from Togetherness) and the second flower are done in Black.


This 4 1/2 x 4 1/2 card was done with Lagoon and Black.  I stamped this image on a scrap piece and then created two masks for the inside and outside of the frame.  I stamped flowers from Treasure Life in first and second generation inside the frame and then stamped the frame.  I edged the image piece with the direct-to-paper technique in Lagoon.  


This last card is a 3 x 6.  I used Sunset to stamp the images and sponged Black on the edges.  Then, to add a little flair, I cut the tops of the middle flourish with my craft knife and lifted them off the paper a bit.  This next photo shows that detail.



I hope you're enjoying the blog hop!  It's time to click on over to Georgia's blog and see the wonderful artwork she's created.  Thanks for stopping by.

Happy Creating!

16 comments:

  1. Really nice idea to cover the 'skull area' with a flower so you still see the cute flourish frame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your second card looks so cool the way the flowers are two different generations. I also like your different ways of using the stamps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how you thought out of the box...love your cards:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the flourish behind the flower...really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had the same idea with just using the flourishes as a background. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love them all! I thought of a way to use the swirl (the Sunset card) and the heart to make a flower! Love the flourishes behind the flower - I could totally see one of the Hooligans monsters in the middle too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW, great "non-traditional" uses of this stamp set! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that you thought outside the box, these are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yea! Someone who thought about those who don't do skulls! I love your cards!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your non- Halloween cards! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love all of the non-halloween things that you did with this set

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love how you made non-Halloween cards!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I too, am not a fan of skulls, vampires, and such, and I don't celebrate Halloween, so I passed on this stamp set. I love what you did with it and really appreciate the alternatives you created. What wonderful creativity! TFS!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! They make my day.